Leisure provision for children with autism and aspergers in and around Haringey
• Kids City. Inclusive drop in play sessions welcoming under5s with disabilities and their carers. Wed 1- 2.45pm, Thrusday and Fridays 10 - 1pm. 100 Tower Gardens, London N17 2QA. Call Caroline Hylton on 07960 046910.
• Markfield Project - all ages, holiday and after school playschemes for autism and Aspergers and siblings.(Long waiting lists for playschemes so sign up early!!You can always decline when a place comes up if you no longer need one)Termtimes second Saturday of the month adventure playground 11 - 3. Friday Parent support group, termtimes 10 - 12. Under 5s drop in and soft play Weds and Thurs - call for times. Individual advice. Training courses. Tel 020 8800 4134.
• Resources for Autism , fantastic autism specific holiday playschemes and after school clubs. Ages 8 - 19. (in Temple Fortune.), there is a charge and yes, you guessed it, a waiting list. Tel 020 8458 3259
• Keen London. Sunday morning sports group for children with autism and other disabilities run by adult volunteers. Free. Ages 5 - 14. Drop your child and any other siblings off at Ackland Burghley School and enjoy 2 guilt free hours on Parliament Hill! Keen often also run a midweek session of arts and drama, and other trips dependent on demand.NB There are WAITING LISTS here too! Sign up and expect to wait a year at least!!!Tel: 020 7250 0012 www.keenlondon.org <http://www.keenlondon.org>
• Haslemere Road, N8. Daytime activities, social skills and overnight respite for over 11s. Placement through social services only.
• YASS! (Young Autistic Spectrum Socialising). Family activities in holidays and half terms. Christine Marchesi. No waiting lists! Tel 020 8449 5251
• Kith and Kids - all disabilities including autism and Aspergers. 'Social Training' - 2 weeks of lifeskill development projects, for all ages from very young to very old. Also a camp week in Kent. 2-3 year waiting list.Tel 020 8801 7432
• Team Spirit at Brook/Riverside Moselle School. Ages 9 - 16 approx. After school and holiday club. Despina 07906 619319.
• Palace for All, The Old Laundry, Sparsholt Road, N8. Drop in days in holidays and half terms, term time youth club and activities and therapies for young children with disabilities.Tel: 020 7561 1689.
• Haywards Adventure Playground, Market Road, Islington N7 9PL. 10.15am to 3.15pm in holidays. A special needs playscheme for over5s where you can drop off your child and siblings for the day for around £7/day/child provided they know your child in advance. Call Steve Roach on 020 7607 0033.
•Click Club - wonderful social club for 11 - 19 year olds on Wednesday evenings run by Barnet NAS. Haringey families welcome. Deborah 07950 688309.
•Muswell Hillbillies - social club for Haringey mainstream secondary school attending children with autism/aspergers. Wednesdays termtime after school. Muswell Hill Youth Centre (behind M and S car park). Run by autism team 020 8489 5084.
Autism friendly sports and activities
Alexandra Palace group - termtimes Wednesday 5 - 6.30 on the cricket pitch, ages 6 - 14 approx, autism and Aspergers. Run by a football coaching group at Alexandra Palace with help from the Spurs special needs coaching team. Call Gareth or Dan at Spurs for info 020 8365 5159.
Archway Pool, Macdonald Road, London N19. Special needs session Saturdays 4.30 - 6pm, fun pool with waves, flume, etc. Loads of children with autism having a lot of fun. Carer free, children £1.50 each, or get an Izz card at reception and then get in for £1.
Gateway seekers swimming club - for children with special needs - every other Sunday in Enfield. Can't find the number - try googling!
Halliwick Penguins - Swimming club for people with disabilities with volunteer helpers. Good at helping children learn to swim in an informal way. Southgate Leisure Centre. Saturdays. Call 020 8363 1711.
Tottenham Green Leisure Centre Pool - sometimes have special needs swim,and Special needs swimming lessons Call 8489 5322 for details.
Otters Club Swimming at Borehamwoodon Saturdays 4:30pm-5:30pm at The Venue, Elstree Way , Borehamwood , WD6 1JY . For all the family with a member with a disability. Free. For more information contact Pat 020 8207 6521.
Kentish Town's pool also runs special needs swims with lessons. Sorry - no details.
Enfield Academy of Swimming - holiday swimming courses suitable for children with asd- 020 8216 3796/07866 198594
Several playgrounds have sessions for children with autism - best way to find out when these are on is to make sure you are getting the Haringey Autism newsletter which always lists the dates.
Haringey Autism holds a number of Saturday morning sessions at Somerford Grove Adventure Playground in Tottenham spring to autumn.
Enfield NAS holds Sunday sessions every three weeks approx Spring to Autumn at Florence Hayes Adventure Playground, Angel Edmonton.
Markfield has an adventure playground often with open access on Saturdays, and with a family club for disabled children and their families on the second Saturday of the month termtimes. 020 8800 4134
Also in neighbouring boroughs
Timbuktu Playground in Hornsey, Islington has just started autism sessions.
Springfield Park in Hackney has an adventure playground.
Haywards Adventure Playground in Islington also caters for children with special needs.
Drama and Puppet making
Haringey Shed - the local branch of the Chicken Shed theatre. Inclusive drama groups for primary and secondary children run at Northumberland Park School, Highgate Primary and Crouch End library. Haringey Shed are based at the Bernie Grant Arts Centre in Tottenham on Town Hall Approach Road, N15.email firstname.lastname@example.org
Turtle Key Opera - fantastic annual course held at the Royal Opera House leading to production for children age 10+ with Aspergers. Tel 020 8964 5060.
Puppet making clubs - 5 - 11 years and 11 - 16 years. Little Angel Pupppet Theatre. Suitable for high functioning children. Contact Slavka or Sarah Schofield.Music Therapy
Nordoff Robbins Music Therapy Centre, 2 Lissenden Gardens, NW5.Tel: 7267 4496Resources for Autism. 858 Finchley Road, NW11. Tel 8458 3259. Anne Woodward.
Music therapy one to one at Resources for Autism.020 8458 3259
Music for under 5s children with special needs at Kid City drop ins. 100 Tower Gardens Road, N17
Dance for children with autism
I Can Dance - Dance for Special Needs ages 3 plus. Recommended by lots of parents! Call Juliet. 07931533955.
Hop Step Jump - weekly sessions every Thursday at Expressions Studio in Kentish Town for children with autism. Erin Carter. 07968 778757.
Pedalpower - For young people and adults - cycling in the park in Finsbury Park on specially adapted trikes and recumbent cycles. Alternate Saturdays 11 - 4. See their website for dates.
Special Needs Trampolining
Sobell Centre, Islington - Wednesdays and Fridays 4.30 - 5, 5 to 5.30. Must book.
Queen Elizabeth's Girl School, High Street, Barnet. Monday evenings. Contact Ann Maria 8440 7881.
Special needs sessions also at Talacre Centre, Kentish Town)
Markfield Project- a variety of clubs and activities throughout the week for all ages. 8800 4134.
Team Spirit. After school activities for children at Moselle School.
Muswell Hillbillies. Social skills group for ASD childen in mainstream secondary schools. Thursdays in term times after school at Muswell Hill Community Centre. Contact Linda Nevin-Drummond on 020 8489 5084.
Resources for Autism. 858 Finchley Rd, NW11. Sat am and pm. 8 - 12 year olds. Wednesday eve - 13 plus.For details, tel: 020 8458 3259.
Turtle Key Arts also run The Key Club, held on Saturday mornings monthly 10 to 1, from September to June, for anyone over 16 with Aspergers or high functioning autism. The club holds workshops and discussions based on performance and visual arts and other creative disciplines. Contact 020 8964 5060.
Spectrum - a social club for girls with Aspergers - call Lesley 07714483485.(not to be confused with the other Spectrum club, run by Haringey Autism for adults)
Barnet NAS Click Club. - for children on the autistic spectrum aged 11 - 19 and their siblings of this age group which Haringey Autism members are welcome to apply to. The young people can use the extensive equipment in the gym with a qualified instructor, play table tennis or pool, use the IT suite or Art studio, and Playstation games, plus board games such as chess, scrabble, pictionary etc. Sessions for drama and using the music production studio will also be arranged, and they hope to have a film and photographic group too. Parents must attend for the first few sessions until the child feels comfortable in the club or until the facilitators are comfortable that the child no longer requires one to one supervision in the setting. The club will be held on Wednesday evenings from 6.30 to 8.30pm at Church Farm Youth Centre, Church Hill Road, EN4 8XE. Call Deborah 07950388609, or Marjorie on 07983985439, or Christine on 020 8449 5251.
Exposure - Media club - journalism, film making and desk top publishing skills (may be suitable for high functioning/Asperger secondary age children). Bigger Shoe Box, Muswell Hill Youth Club, Hillfield Park,N10.
Sailability in Rickmansworth have one or two man sailing dinghys adapted for use by disabled children and adults. Virtually upcapsizable and operated by just one rope or tiller. Suitable for autistic people age 5 to 85 who like water! Contact Harry Codd on 01923 262528.
The Stables, Barnet Lane, Totteridge.07958 919437
Penniwells, Sewardstone Rd, Chingford, E4. 020 82074525Cinema
Lots of cinemas hold Saturday morning showings of non-current films for around £1 to £2. Get to see old favourites again and not have lost lots of money if it didn't work out!
Cineworld in Wood Green have a choice of 3 films and give out goody bags too. 10am.
East Finchley - Phoenix cinema - Kids Club - 11am, starts with an Activity Workshop on a first come first served basis for a maximum of 30 children aged 5 - 8 and must be pre-booked, followed by the film at 12 noon which is also open to older children. Ticket £2 each or £10 for 5 - 10 people including at least 2 adults. Tel 020 8444 6789 for further information.
Get a CEA card. A nationally accepted cinema card that gives free entry to the carer. £5, lasts 3 years.tel 0845 1231295 or www.ceacard.co.uk <http://www.ceacard.co.uk/> to download an application form.
Autism friendly screenings are being held by the Picturehouse group of cinemas in Stratford, Brixton, Clapham and Greenwich. The soundtrack is turned down a little and low lights are left on the auditorium. Tickets are only £2 and current films are screened. For more info email email@example.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
Jasper Trust - is a new Jewish group for families who have a member with Aspergers. For more information email email@example.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
Norwood - fantastic jewish run charity for lots of provision including under 5s special needs drop ins
Catholic pastoral care
for children with Special Needs who find it difficult to attend church - A range of pastoral services for people with all forms of SEN and their families available at St Joseph's Pastoral Centre in Hendon, north London. 020 8202 3999.
Cubs and Scouts - Special Needs cubs/scout group meets on Tuesday evenings at the Scout Park in Gordon Road, Bounds Green, N11(amazing venue of 11 acres of green space with lakes, climbing wall, archery, greenhouses, etc). Contact via email email@example.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
SNAAP Computer/Media/Arts club. Based in Barnet's Finchley Catholic High School, this club is for children aged 3-18 and their siblings. Free to users. 3.30 -6pm Wednesdays termtime, and sometimes in holidays. Families can stay as long as they like - children receive support from a team of trained support workers.See website www.snaaponline.co.uk <http://www.snaaponline.co.uk> The website is now saying this is a service for Barnet children but it is worth asking if your child would suit this club.