1. About us | 2. Abbreviations | 3. Diagnosis | 4. Education and specialist help | 5. Health | 6. Haringey Social Services/respite care | 7. Financial help | 8. Leisure and activities | 9. Support groups and helplines | 10. How can you help your child at home |

4. Education and specialist help


    Primary school children

    Secondary and post 16 children

What is a Statement?

A statement is a legal document setting out the special educational help which a child must receive by law. The legal entitlement only has worth, however, if the statement is written in accordance with the law and provides detailed information about the child's difficulties and the help provided to address those difficulties. The statement is compiled by the Local Authority's Special Educational Needs department, and takes into account the reports written by educational psychologists, speech and language therapists, clinicians, teachers, parents and any other involved professionals.

Does my child need a Statement?

Unless your child is extremely able or high-functioning and is likely to get through mainstream primary and secondary school with only the help that school can provide, then the answer for most parents will be yes, and as soon as possible.

Support for the Special Educational Needs (SEN) of children in school who do not have a statement is provided at two levels:

1. School Action (SA)

2. School Action Plus (SA+)

If you child needs help that is above and beyond what the school can reasonably provide at SA and SA+, then you should consider applying for 'Statutory Assessment' - the first step in getting a Statement (see below).

Increasingly extra help for children with high levels of SEN is given under the school stages. Local Education Authorities make no secret of the fact that they aim to restrict statements to a smaller proportion of children with SEN. If you have a child with high functioning autism or Aspergers Syndrome, it is possible you will be told that your child does not need to be assessed for a statement and that their needs can be met through the school's own funding. Be wary of this - teachers at the school are very likely to tell you that in reality they cannot meet your child's needs at all without a statement and additional provision. Remember that education is not just about academic ability, if your child is struggling with developing socially; this is a valid part of their learning which needs to be addressed.

Stay in contact with the school - meeting with the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) and class teacher can be really helpful for them as well as you. The school do have a duty to 'make reasonable adjustments' for disabled children and to differentiate the curriculum and draw up an Individual Education Plan (IEP) for children with SEN who need it. There are lots of young people with SEN whose needs can be met at the school stages and this is generally the more academically able autistic children who do not have particular behavioural problems.

When should I apply?

The process for applying for a Statement is called 'Statutory Assessment', you should ask for this if you believe:

You should also ask your LEA for a statutory assessment if your child is under school age, and you believe that they will need extra help when they start school.

While the school needs to make best efforts to meet your child's needs within their own budget, the school stages should not be hurdles to be jumped before you can apply for Statutory Assessment. But it can be helpful in evidencing that your child needs a Statement if you can show that despite having extra support at School Action and School Action+ your child did not make adequate progress.

How do I apply?

Obtaining one that you agree with and which will provide what you feel to be sufficient provision can be a difficult and time consuming process. The time from the first request for a Statement to the issuing of a Statement should in theory be no more than 6 months, but can be considerably longer in reality. All of this can be infuriating if you see the help your child could benefit from being withheld as a statement is required for the help to be given.. But for children fast approaching or already of primary school age, there can be a feeling of great urgency unmatched by the system.

You need to put your request in writing to the Chief Education Officer at the Local Authority, 48 Station Road, N22 7TY. The Parent Partnership Service can help you do this, they will have a model letter you can use, or you can download one from When should I hear back?

The Local Authority must reply within six weeks. Remember: Always ask in writing. Keep a copy of your letter. Make a note of the six week deadline for the LA's reply.

You may be told that a CAF (Common Assessment Framework) form needs to be filled in before you can apply for assessment. A CAF is a multi-agency referral form and can help get you support from social services and other departments. However, the CAF does not take the place of the the SEN process, and you do not need to have one filled in before you can apply.

Once issued, a Statement is reviewed annually and provision made be changed. In reality, very little changes on the Statement each year once it has been issued, so it is worth holding out for what you feel to be a Statement that will give decent provision for the next few foreseeable years.

The timetable for how long each stage of the statementing process may be dragged out for and other pointers is outlined in the booklet 'Special Educational Needs - a guide for parents and carers' published by the National Autistic Society 3. (Order number tel 0845 458 9911. NAS 664), but the local Parent Partnership Service (PPS) should be able to provide you with information on this for free.

If you wish to meet with the Special Educational Needs Dept face to face, or to better understand the assessment and statementing process, to ask questions and to set up individual appointments if necessary, call the PPS for help. Tel 020 8802 2611.

During assessment

If you feel that any of the main reports made on your child are inaccurate, or understate the problems, you can ask for changes to be made to that report because understating problems could well result in lesser provision being offered. Every borough has a legal duty to make the hours and type of provision clear on the statement and to state who is to provide it. Many if not most boroughs try to avoid doing this however. Make sure your statement is unequivocal on provision - if the report states your child has a particular need they should specify and quantify what provision your child should have to meet those needs.

If you get nowhere with changes you need to the draft statement, you might consider splashing out and having an independent evaluation made by an out of borough expert to back up your point, however private reports are expensive to obtain - expect to pay 750 for an independent educational psychologists assessment or 550 plus for a Speech and Language or Occupational Therapy tribunal report from the London Children's Practice (tel 020 7724 1156) for instance. Again if you are on benefits, you made be able to get these reports paid for. Ask at a local Citizens Advice Bureau, or at a local solicitor who specialise in educational provision, such as Levene's near Wood Green station. You can meet with the SEN case officer to discuss your case, however remember that if you request more than one meeting, this might delay the whole process. (A private child advocate is also worth considering though, like going to a solicitor, this costs money. Try .)

One of the major issues Haringey children with autism face is the total lack of occupational therapy provided by the local health authority. Even those with OT in their statements do not receive it at present and this has been the unhappy situation for many years now.

Appealing against the Local Authority's decision

There are several points at which you can appeal to a tribunal if you cannot agree with the Local Authority, including if the Local Authority:

• Will not carry out a statutory assessment of your child's special educational needs, following a request by you or by your child's school.

• Refuses to make a statement of your child's special educational needs, after a statutory assessment.

• Has made a statement, or has changed a previous statement, and you disagree with part 2, 3 and or 4.

The process is explained in material that will be sent to you by the LA when they let you know their decision. have a pack explaining how and when to appeal. There are strict deadlines, so if you are unhappy at any stage make sure you seek support; The PPS, NAS, Autism London, Resources for Autism, AFASIC, IPSEA and ACE helplines can all give advice, and can suggest reading material to help you through the process. Going to tribunal is sometimes inevitable, but is intensely stressful and can be very expensive, and both sides tend to do all they can to avoid it.

What specialist help is available to my pre-schooler?

1. Social Communication Group.

Run by Speech and Language Therapists at one of the local health centres as part of the referral pathway for pre-school children with autism or a social-communication disorder, the social communcation group runs for 6 - 8 weeks working on language, play skills, turn taking etc. Tel: 020 8442 6338.

2. Earlybird.

An NAS initiative, run in Haringey by the LEA. The first pilot scheme began in January 2001 with 6 families following a three month programme course run by the Autism team,and an Educational Psychologist. The programme brings parents together for group daytime training sessions and also visits families in their own homes. Parents/carers are helped to understand their child's autistic spectrum disorder, develop the child's communication and help find ways to manage their behaviour. To qualify for the Earlybird scheme, children must have an autism diagnosis and NOT have a full-time nursery or Under 5's placement. (Earlybird can arrange some social services respite to allow parents to attend the course). For details contact the PDC (Professional Development Centre). Tel: 020 8489 5084. Contact is Linda Nevin-Drummond or Letecia Knight. Email or

3. Haringey Speech and Language Therapy.

Other than the Social Skills Group, some children may also receive one to one speech and language therapy in short bursts of weekly or monthly intervention, or may join groups at community clinics. If you wish to self-refer to the Speech and Language Therapy service, write to: G1, St Ann's Hospital, St Ann's Road, London N15 3TH. Or tel/fax: 020 8442 6866. Or contact the SLT adminstrator at Tynemouth Road Health Centre. Tel 020 8275 4008.

4. Haringey Early Intervention Panel/specialist pre-school nursery places.

Your child may be referred onto the Early Intervention Panel who allocate the specialist pre-school places according to need. Since March 2001, Haringey has a specialist pre-school autism unit attached to a mainstream playgroup at Woodside Children's Centre in White Hart Lane. The unit known as The Gold Room offers up to 6 morning and 6 afternoon sessions only in mixed ability and mixed age groups for pre-schoolers.

The Woodside Children's Centre Social and Communication Unit (The Gold Room) is at 59, White Hart Lane, London N22. Tel: 020 8888 4398

Other places which are allocated by the Early Intervention Panel are at Children's Centre nurseries who have considerable experience with children with special needs, and are increasingly familiar with working with autistic children. They will all have access to educational psychologists and speech and language therapists. (in ordinary mainstream nurseries, you will need to self-refer to the educational psychology service for help or the nursery may do so themselves, and speech and language therapy is usually only available in the nursery if the child is statemented)

Contact Shubi Raymond for other Early Years inclusion issues via the general council number 020 8489 0000.

The nurseries with reserved places for children with special needs include:

Plevna Children's Centre, St Ann's Road, N15.

Pembury House Children's Centre, Lansdowne Road, N17

Park Lane Children's Centre, N15

Woodlands Park Children's Centre, Woodlands Park Road, N15

Rowland Hill Children's Centre, White Hart Lane, N17.

Stonecroft Children's Centre, 100 Priory Road, N10

(Bruce Grove Primary School has a language disorder unit which some children with autism also attend though it is not primarily aimed at asd children)

5. Home programmes

There are a number of children in the borough still following part-time home-based behavioural intervention programmes developed in the United States, also known as ABA or Applied Behavioural Analysis. There are a number of models with Lovaas, Verbal Behaviour and Options the better known. The majority of the children on home programmes are also combining mainstream school with their home programmes. The LEA has in the past funded a number of the home programmes but now no longer funds new programmes. You may prefer to just pay for some private additional tutoring at around 10 to 15 for a tutor and anything up to 80 an hour for occasional supervision. There are still some grants worth 2000 a year towards this available through Caudwell children - see their website online.

For more information on Lovaas/ABA contact PEACH (Parents for the Early Intervention of Autism in Children) 020 8891 0121 or see their website. Or Contact Julia at Haringey Autism for advice on local tutors or to be put in touch with other families following this route. Tel 020 8889 8422.

6. Mainstream nurseries with some extra support and speech and language therapy if you have managed to get the help detailed on a Statement of SEN in time.

Sometimes mainstream nurseries attached to schools may be a better choice than pre-school playgroups as they can be more structured, and being within a school have a resident SENCO and school educational psychologist. If your child is in a mainstream school's nursery and is having problems, contact the SENCO and request a meeting with an educational psychologist. If your child is in a pre-school playgroup or nursery not attached to a school, you may self-refer to the Educational Psychology service or ask the head of the nursery to do so for you. You may also self -refer to the Speech and Language Therapy service for assessment though actual speech and language therapy within mainstream nurseries is presently restricted to children with statements.

7. Independent Schools

Kestrel House School in Crouch Hill, Crouch End, N8 - pre-school autism/Asperger social and communication group sessions, age 2+.(These may not be running at present due to in-school changes - check directly with the school if interested) This is an option which you could pay for privately, or maybe plead for your LEA/health depts to fund. Fulltime, funded places will run from Reception class up to age 11

Treehouse School in Woodside Avenue, Muswell Hill, N10. A school for children with autism aged 3 - 19 using ABA teaching principles. Places are all LEA funded and you can expect to go through the educational tribunal process and have immense difficulty to get a place here. Tel: 020 8815 5424. Headteacher Julie Sullivan.

Charity providers

Palace for All - a wonderful charity just over the Haringey border in Islington near Crouch Hill station. Based at The Old Laundry, Sparsholt Road, N19 this organisation offers numerous treatments and also small group and 1 to 1 speech and language therapy and teaching. There is a termly charge but it is very reasonable. They also have lots of drop in play sessions.

Kid City - a nursery provision and also a Wed, Thurs, Fri drop in provision for under 5s with special needs. 100 Tower Gardens Road, N17. see leisure section for tel number.

Challenge - a Friday morning termtime drop in for under 5s with special needs at St James Church Hall, Muswell Hill Road, N10. The parents organising this group include a child psychologist and a physiotherapist.

Private teaching organisations:

• The London Children's Practice - autism plus+ service. A private provision offering assessment, diagnosis and a full package of post diagnostic interventions such as speech and language therapy and report writing for tribunal. Social and communcation nursery groups for 2 - 5 year olds, sensory integration, behaviour strategies etc. Tel 020 7224 1156.

• The Hope Centre - a private organisation offering speech and language therapy, individual teaching and occupational therapy.

• Christopher Place, The Speech Language and Learning Centre - under 5s speech and language assessments and one to one teaching. (some bursaries available for low income families)

Haringey borough funded contact numbers for pre-school year education problems:

Haringey Autism Support Team and Earlybird scheme Tel: 020 8489 5084.

Linda Nevin-Drummond and Letecia Knight

Phil di Leo, Head of Education for Children with additional needs and disabilities, Haringey Children and Young People's Services, 40 Cumberland Road, London N22 7SG

Tel: 8489 0000/8489 3848

Sarah Parker, Operational Manager of Speech and Language Therapy Services.

Tel:8442 6866. Based at:G1, St Ann's Hospital, St Ann's Rd, N15.

Speech and Language Therapy/Asst Director of Children's Services. Tel: 8442 6877

Educational Psychology Service: Tel: 020 8489 3004. Professional Development Centre, Downhills Park Road, N15. Head of service: Yvonne Wade. Senior Educational psychologist specialising in autism, Laura Cockburn

LEA - Early Years and Play service. Tel: 020 8489 3840.

Shubi Raymond - Advisory teacher for inclusion in Early Years. (Early Years is the official term for 3,4,and 5 year olds.) Shubi is available to professionals in private, voluntary or maintained settings, where advice or support is needed in including children with SEN. Parents can also call her directly if having problems in a mainstream setting, or considering a mainstream setting. Tel: 020 8489 1497.

Haringey Parent Partnership Service, provided by Markfield exists to help parents access LEA services when you meet brick walls or need help getting through the system. They can help you with advice and support, filling in forms and attending school or LEA meetings with you to speak on your behalf. You can meet them at the Markfield Project or at the CDC weekly surgery. Book first on 020 88004134

Helpline Monday 9 - 12 or Weds 3 - 6 on 020 8802 2611.

What specialist help is available for my primary school child?

The majority of autistic primary age children in the borough go to one of the following options:

a) mainstream schools with varying levels of support from between a few hours a week extra assistance to full-time 30 plus hours support from an SNA (Special Needs Assistant); and possibly also attending a 'nurture room' in some schools that have them for a few hours;

b) to the two local special school units for learning difficulties. They are the Brook (opening in late 2011, a combination of what was previously Moselle School/William C Harvey School), based with the Willow school, previously the Broadwater Farm Primary) and the autism unit at Mulberry Primary School,

c) to the out of borough day special schools such as Woodcroft in Loughton, Radlett in Hertfordshire, Whitefields in Waltham Forest, or West Lea in Edmonton. You would only get offered a place at any of these types of school if the in borough specialist provision was unable to meet your child's needs or was full and mainstream had clearly been unable to meet your child's needs.

d) the in-borough independent special schools such as Treehouse and Kestrel School House (shortly to be changing its name as under new management!)

e) are out of school and running a home programmes or getting a few hours help via the Tuition Service in Williams Grove, Wood Green.

f) A very few needing exceptionally high levels of support and a very structured 24 hour curriculum go to out of borough residential special schools.

The LA's present policy is to very much to increase in-borough provision, particularly by increasing the number of children in supported mainstream settings and to vigorously oppose parents' requests for out of borough placements except in extreme circumstances where needs very clearly cannot be met in borough.

The amount of specialist help, support, and speech and language therapy your child gets in a mainstream setting is largely dependent upon the provision outlined in his/her Statement (Statement of Special Educational Needs) and the level of sympathy/understanding/tenacity displayed by the school's SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator). For many, obtaining a statement is the only way to get help for their child - be warned the longer you leave it, the harder it may be to obtain one as the government are trying to decrease the numbers of children who hold statements. See previous section on Statements.

1. Special schools and units for autistic primary age children, attended by Haringey pupils .

The Brook School

A new inclusive learning campus opening late 2011, to include a mainstream primary school and two special schools all on the site on Broadwater Farm.

Mulberry School

Parkhurst Road, N17. Tel: 020 88082296

A mainstream primary school with an autism unit. Children will integrate into any mainstream classes their abilities allow them to access. Head of unit is Caroline Graham.

Radlett School for Autistic Children.

Harper Lane, Radlett, Herts. WD7 9HW. Tel: 01923 854922.

Independent special school for pupils age 3 - 16, run by NAS. Day and boarding. Haringey pupils tend to attend daily and are transported by the borough to and from school.

Treehouse School

Ages 3 - 19. Woodside Avenue, London N10.(autism)' Tel: 020 8815 5424. Independent school run on ABA lines.

Kestrel House School

Age 3 - 16 provision. An independent school for children with autism on Crouch Hill, N8.

(NB under new management and due to change name shortly)

West Lea School

State run school. Ages 4 -17, Hazelbury Road, Edmonton.(Aspergers, autism, complex needs) Tel:020 8807 2656 Run by Enfield LA, places generally reserved for Enfield pupils.

Woodcroft school

Independent school. Ages 5-12, Loughton, Essex.(MLD autism, Aspergers)

Tel: 020 8508 1369

Whitefield School and Centre

Macdonald Road (off Fulbourne Road), London E17 4AZ. Tel: 8531 3426.

State run school for children with MLD/SLD age 5 - 19 and with special classes for autistic children. Again children attend daily and are transported by special school bus from their homes. (Most places are reserved for children from Waltham Forest)

Hillingdon Manor School

Independent school for children with high functioning autism/Aspergers, age 3 - 19.

Holmewood School. For children 5 - 19 with high functioning autism, Aspergers and other specific learning difficulties. The school unit is attached to an international school.

The Bridge School(previously known as Harborough and Rosemary Schools) Islington.

Tel: 7272 5739. Takes 2 - 19 years.(autism). Autism units in mainstream schools.(Places generally reserved for Islington students)

The NAS, Autism London, Gabbitas and and Oaasis will also have lists of special schools, including the independent ones around the country, if you want to look further afield. These schools are all expensive and LEA's can be reluctant to fund places at them, preferring to provide in-borough for their autistic children. Whichever route you take, contact the schools early, take a look around and if you decide you would like a place there, register your interest with the school and the LEA as fast as possible. Parental preference is supposed to count in your choice of school for your child, but getting approval for an expensive place may not be easy as funds are very limited.

2. Mainstream primary school with varying levels of support

There are many children on the more able end of the autistic spectrum attending mainstream school full or part-time, with and without extra help. Hours of support provided vary from none to full-time one to one support, depending partly on the needs of the child and partly on how doggedly the parents have fought for the support.

The quality of support provided can be essential to making inclusion successful. Try to ensure that your child's learning assistant receives or has received training in autism from the autism support team (8489 5084). Check whether the support hours will include breaktimes and lunch hours - often the times that autistic children find most stressful and unmanageable but which are perversely often not included. The autism team who can go into primary schools for up to half a term and train staff in-depth on successful inclusion of children with ASD.

As more money is allocated to schools over the next few years for general use for children with special or additional educational needs, far less children will receive statements. Those with needs which are not seen as severe or complex will generally get help from these funds without the need for a statement. At present this is children needing less than 15 hours a week support.

At mainstream school, your child will have an IEP (Individual Education Plan) which should be updated and reviewed regularly. There will also be an annual review of the child's progress and to check the Statement is still appropriate.

Concerns should be addressed first to the SENCO or the school's educational psychologist, to the Autism Team, or to the Parent Partnership Service who will help you with advice and speak on your behalf if required. (Try the NAS or Autism London if you get nowhere with the above, or private mediator Fiona Slomovitch at www.advocacyand

Speech and Language support in schools for pupils from Year One onwards, is generally restricted to those who have statements or who are assessed at 'School Action Plus'. At Reception level, it is restricted to those who have it detailed on their statements. A recent development is the setting up of the 'Speech Language and Communication Service' which is managed by Kirstie Watkins. This service was set up to prevent crossovers and duplications between the services. Parents may self-refer to the service, or schools can refer children to the service with parents' consent. Contacts are listed on the next page.

3. Home programmes

Within the borough there are also a number of children on home-based ABA programmes most of whom attend part time mainstream or special school as part of their home programme, and accompanied by their own tutors. (See 'What specialist help is available for my pre-school child?' section, or contact Julia at Haringey Autism for ideas for private home tutors tel 020 8889 8422.) Caudwell children are the only organisation we know giving grants of up to 2000 a year towards this.

(Several of our families are working with a team called the Nightingale team.see

Within Haringey, the independent Treehouse School is run on ABA lines. (TreeHouse School. Woodside Ave, Muswell Hill, N10.Tel: 020 8815 5424)

4. Private speech and language therapy

You may receive speech and language therapy to a greater or lesser extent at school, but if you want/need more you may consider getting some private help.

Private speech and language therapists can be 60 to 80 an hour. You could try getting a 500 speech and language therapy voucher via an organisation called Cerebra if you are not getting one to one speech and language therapy provided.

- Palace for All in Sparsholt Road, off Crouch Hill, N19 provide very good value speech and language therapy and one to one teaching at much lower rates - highly recommended.

- The Hope Centre is a long established centre providing teaching therapies.

Haringey borough funded contact numbers for primary age education problems:

Haringey Autism Team - Tel 020 8489 5084. contact Linda Nevin-Drummond or Letecia Knight

Phil di Leo, Head of Education for children with additional needs and disabilities, Haringey Children and Young People's Service. Tel: 8489 0000/8489 3848

Speech, Language and Communication Service. Contact:020 8442 6866.

Vicki Monkmeyer.

Educational Psychology Service. Tel: 8489 3004. Yvonne Wade/Laura Cockburn

Parent Partnership Service Tel: 020 8800 4134/020 8802 2611

This body exists to help parents access LEA services when you meet brick walls or need help getting through the system. Rachel Burke/Bola Aworinde.

What specialist help is available for my secondary age child?

1.Special schools

Riverside. Opening late 2011.

A large special needs provision in a mainstream secondary school based at Woodside High on White Hart Lane (Wood Green end of the road)

Ages 11- 16

Heartlands High - autism unit in a council run mainstream secondary school for children with autism and moderate/severe learning difficulties. Ages 11 - 16. In Wood Green. Contact Kelly McBeath.

Holmewood School. An independent school, attached to an international mainstream school, which has provision for children with high functioning autism, aspergers and other specific learning difficulties.

Jewish School in Barnet, JCoss with an autism unit. See website

Sybil Elgar.NAS-run secondary school. 10 Florence Road, W5. Tel:7833 2299. WhitefieldSchool and Centre Macdonald Road (off Fulbourne Road), London E17 4AZ. Tel: 020 8531 3426. Day school with some residential boarding and respite. Ages 11 - 19

Whitefield School for children with MLD/SLD age 5 - 19 and with special classes for autistic children. Again children attend daily and are transported by special school bus from their homes.

Treehouse School, Woodside Avenue, Muswell Hill, N10. Independent school run on ABA lines.Tel 020 8815 5424.

The Bridge School Takes ages 2 - 19 years.(Islington LEA)


West Lea, (autism and Aspergers) Haselbury Rd , Edmonton. Ages 3 - 19

Tel: 020 8807 2656 (Enfield LEA)

The Spa School, Monnow Rd, Bermondsey, SE1 (must apply by October of yr 6 for entry to yr 7) Tel:020 7237 3714 (autism, Aspergers) (Southwark LEA).

Ages 11 - 19.

Hillingdon Manor, 01895 813 679 (autism/aspergers)Harlington Rd, Hillingdon,

Middlesex UB8 3HD (Independent school). Ages 3 - 19

Stormont House, Downs Pk Rd, London E5.(Hackney LEA) Tel: 020 8985 4245

Oak Lodge School, Heath View, East Finchley, N2(Barnet LEA)(autism/MLD)

Tel: 020 8444 6711.

Radlett Lodge, Radlett, Herts. Day, with some boarding and overnight respite provision. An NAS school. From primary age to the age of 16. Tel: 01923 854922.

2. Residential schools include:

Helen Allison School, an NAS run school in Meopham, Kent, approximately 75 minutes drive from Haringey. Offers daytime or weekly boarding or overnight respite provision for children with autism/Aspergers. Tel 01474 814878. Head is Jacqui Ashton Smith. Ages to 16, with additional 16 - 19 provision.

Prior's Court School, Thatcham, Berkshire. Tel: 01635 247202. 38 week or 44 week weekly boarding for children with autism and challenging behaviour/complex learning. To age 19.

Fullerton House School, Doncaster. A 52 week school for children with severe challenging behaviour and autism.

Hassocks HVS. A residential school for children with autism/aspergers who suffer high levels of anxiety.

Horizon and Tadley Horizon schools

Broomhayes School, Devon. NAS run termly boarding school.To age 19. Autism and challenging behaviour.

Southlands School(01590 675350)/Grately House School(01264 889751). Both schools are in Hampshire and run by the Cambian Group for children with high functioning autism/Aspergers, ages 11 -16. Fortnightly boarding.The group also run several other schools in Hampshire, Dorset and N England.

Doucecroft School.Eight Ash Green, Colchester, Essex. Tel 01206 771234. Autism and aspergers age 2 - 19.

Potterspury Lodge School.Towcester, Northampshire. Tel 01908 542912.

Eagle House School, Banham, Norwich, Norfolk. Tel 01953 888656. Residential 38 and 52 week school for children with autism and moderate to severe learning difficulties.

Heathermount School, Ascot. Run by Disabilities Trust. Tel 01223 265567

Priory Group Schools - the group run several schools specialising in high functioning children - in Somerset and Brighton. Tel 01373 814980/466222.

Details of more schools can be obtained from the National Autistic Society and from the OAASIS websites. Autism London have a good factsheet on schools in the Greater London area.

3. Inclusive secondary provision

There are no specialist units for more able autistic children attached to mainstream secondary schools within Haringey and previous plans for the one at Alexandra Park School now seem abandoned.

Haringey's very over -stretched autism team, work with children with autism in mainstream schools and their teachers and learning assistants. Tel: 020 8489 5084. The autism team together with speech and language therapy teams co-ordinate and carry out all the transition work for yr 6 primary students to adjust to secondary school, generally 5 sessions, and follow up throughout yr 7 in the new school.

If your child is out of school you may be able to access up to 10 hours a week tuition at or from the Tuition Centre or PRU (Pupil Referral Unit ) for children with health needs at Williams Grove, N22 through the SEN dept at Education Services. Tel 8489 0000. The Tuition Centre can teach up to 5 hours a week in the pupils own home if they are too fragile to cope with attending classes at theTuition Centre building.

4 Social Skills Youth Group

For children in years 7 and up, Run by the autism team. Tel 020 8489 5084. The group is presently known as the 'Muswell Hillbillies', and meets Thursday after school at Muswell Hill Community Centre behind Marks and Spencers.

From age 14, your child's annual review should also be attended by someone from the Transitions team at social services so that forward planning for yor child's future can be started.

Post 16 education

Haringey Sixth Form Centre -This brand new sixth form close to White Hart Lane station, has a special needs section, Opened in Sept 2007. (If your child goes to this sixth form centre as opposed to a college, then the statement is maintained by children's services. Otherise in other colleges such as CHANEL, the college itself becomes responsible for support.

CHANEL (College of Haringey and North East London), High Road, Tottenham, N17.

Barnet College

City and Islington College

Area 51 education, Coburg Road, Wood Green, N22

Harington Scheme, Cholmeley Pk, Highgate, N6. Horticulture and life skills courses for young people and adults age 16+. 6 month or 2 year courses. 020 8341 3657.

Psychological problems =

Anxiety, stress, depression, withdrawal and refusal to go out, OCD, nervous tics etc -

Free - Ask your GP or school to refer to CAMHS or to the Tavistock.


The London Children's Practice - autism plus+ service. A private provision offering behavioural strategies including cognitive behavioural therapy, etc. Tel 020 7224 1156.

Private autism mentoring

Haringey borough funded contact numbers for secondary age education problems:

Autism Team - Tel: 020 8489 5084

Phil di Leo, Children and Young People's Services. Tel: 020 8489 3848.

Social Services, Transitions 14 - 19,Gillian Rodway.020 84890000

Connexions North London.Faye Mahmud/Liz Osman. 020 8489 0000.

Sarah Parker, Vicki Monkmeyer, Speech and Language Therapy Services. Tel:8442 6866.

Educational Psychology Service. Yvonne Wade/Laura Cockburn Tel: 020 8489 3004.

Parent Partnership Scheme - Rachel Burke, Bola Aworinde. Tel: 020 8800 4134/020 8802 2611. This body exists to help parents access LEA services when you meet brick walls or need help getting through the system.